By KK Tong (guest contributor)
Launched in the last weekend of August 2017, Kandis Residence is a 130-unit condominium set in the quiet and serene area of Sembawang. Based on the 33 transactions from launch date up to June 2018, the average transacted price is $1273 psf.
Developed by Tuan Sing Holdings, the 99-year leasehold project sits on a site area of 75,832 sq ft, and TOP is expected in mid-2021.
The unit types include:
The development consists of a 3-storey block and three 7-storey blocks. Together with the clubhouse, the project is arranged in a U-shape.
A total of 130 parking lots are provided in the basement car park. The main entrance is via Kandis Link.
Figure 1: Site Plan
Facilities at Kandis Residence include a lap pool, a gymnasium, a function room, and a roof terrace BBQ Pavilion.
Thoughts from Show Flat Visit
Figure 2: Floor Plan of Type B5 (2 Bedroom)
Once you enter the unit, there is a recessed area which is an aircon ledge. The kitchen is located just beyond this space. The unit then opens into the dining and living areas, and the bedrooms are on the left.
Figure 3: Kitchen
The kitchen comes with a glass sliding door, thus enclosing the cooking area. This is rather rare these days as most two bedroom units offer open kitchens. However, the kitchen area is rather small and offers little worktop space. Due to its size, the storage is limited as well. It does, however, come equipped with a refrigerator and an oven, both by Bosch.
On a side note, the washer and dryer, also by Bosch, are not placed in the kitchen. They are located in a recess in the common bathroom, hidden by a tinted sliding door.
Figure 4: Location of Washer/Dryer
Figure 5: Dining Area
The dining area is a cosy space just next to the kitchen. A table for 4 persons sits quite comfortably there.
Figure 6: Living Area/Balcony
With an armless sofa and wall-to-ceiling shelving, the living area feels spacious and airy. Not an iota of it being cramped and poky.
On the contrary, there isnothing much to shout about the balcony – the design is rather poor as one half of the balcony is used as another aircon ledge, and the design of this ledge is an eyesore. Effectively, one is left with half a balcony.
Figure 7: Master Bedroom
The master bedroom is a decent size. With the usual furniture in place, the walking space is satisfactory.
Figure 8: Area Map
Amenities around the area
Kandis Residence is set in the locale of Sembawang, and offers tranquillity and quiet for folks who want out from the frenzy of work and the bustle of the city.
Despite being amidst a landed enclave, amenities and facilities are not too far off from Kandis Residence. Nearby shopping centres include Sun Plaza, and slightly further out, Sembawang Shopping Centre. Sun Plaza offers restaurants, cafes, and fast food outlets. There is also a supermarket for grocery shopping, and the National Library Board has a branch housed there.
Nature lovers will enjoy going for walks in Sembawang Park. There is a beach area and a restaurant there. Walking to the park is easy as it is less than 500 metres away.
Education facilities a short drive away include Wellington Primary School, Northoaks Primary School, as well as Canberra Primary and Secondary Schools. Yishun Junior College and Republic Polytechnic are a little further away.
The nearest medical facilities can be found at Khoo Teck Puat Hospital in Yishun, about 5.4 km away.
Additionally, the Sembawang Integrated Hub, slated to open next to Sembawang MRT Station in 2020, will offer sports facilities, a polyclinic, senior care facilities, and a hawker centre.
In terms of transport accessibility, driving to other parts of the island is via Sembawang Road to the SLE/TPE. A bus stop is located on Sembawang Road, which will bring one to the Sembawang MRT Station. Moreover, for the first year upon completion, the developer will be providing a shuttle service for residents to this MRT station.
Positive Aspects of the Development
- The condominium is in a private low-rise housing enclave, which is less built-up. It also ensures exclusivity.
- The area is quiet and peaceful, and suitable for people who enjoy serenity.
- Its walking distance to Sembawang Park is a bonus, especially for nature lovers.
- There are 130 units in the project, a comfortable number.
- Necessary facilities like supermarkets and schools are within reasonable driving distance.
The Not-so-good Aspects of the Development
- The nearest primary school is about 3 km away, which can be inconvenient for young children. School-going students will have to be driven by parents, or rely on school buses or public transport.
- At the moment, there is only a single bus service along Sembawang Road. This is limiting for residents who do not drive.
- Most units in the development will have some sun.
- The aircon ledge in the balcony is rather unsightly.
Some Thoughts on Units
- Stacks 12 and 13 are facing the exterior of Block 10. There are no views to speak of.
- Stacks 17 and 22 are closest to the electrical substation.
- Pool-facing units face the landed properties.
- At the moment, non-pool-facing units are facing the greenery. However, according to the URA Master Plan, these green areas are subject to detailed planning.
- If I had to choose, I would probably go for either Stack #1 or Stack #8. An alternative choice would be Stacks #17 or #18 on higher floors.
Figure 9: Location of Kandis Residence and Surrounding Areas
We will be comparing Kandis Residence with The Nautical and Canberra Residences. Although these two condos are not exactly in the vicinity of Kandis Residence, they are the closest in distance for comparison purposes.
Both The Nautical and Canberra Residences are 99-year leasehold projects. The Nautical is a 435-unit project completed in 2016. Canberra Residences has 320 units and was completed in 2015.
Price Comparison Table (2 bedrooms)
Price Comparison Table (3 bedrooms)
Prices for Kandis Residence
For the 2-bedroom units, the sizes are quite comparable among the 3 condos, although Canberra Residences is ahead in this category with more comfortable sizes. Its PSF prices are also lower than the other two condos. Its main downside is that it is older than Kandis Residence by about 6 years. Despite this, this would be my preferred condo as it is still relatively new.
For the 3-bedroom units, I will again choose Canberra Residences as the PSF prices compared to Kandis Residences is lower by about $400! Moreover, its unit size is very liveable and its quantum prices are acceptable too.
As a side note, Canberra Residences is the closest to Sembawang MRT Station among the three condos. This can only be a plus point.