By KK Tong (guest contributor)
230 units were sold at Parc Botannia in Sengkang at an average selling price of $1,270 psf during the launch weekend in November 2017. As at mid-March 2018, a total of 341 units have been sold.The touted selling point of this 735-unit project was that of having potential rental from professionals working at the Seletar Aerospace Park.
A joint venture between Sing Holdings and Wee Hur, Parc Botannia sits on a site area of 185,102 sq ft, and TOP is projected to be in December 2021.
The unit types are:
The development consists of 735 residential units and a childcare centre.Units come in various sizes ranging from 1-bedroom to 5-bedrooms.
Parking is located on the first level and the basement. There are a total of 756 parking lots, including 15 for the childcare centre. The main entrance ison Fernvale Street.A side gate is located on Fernvale Road, and this provides access to the Thanggam LRT Station.
Figure 1: Site Plan
Facilities at Parc Botannia include a lap pool, a gymnasium, a tennis court, various pavilions for different activities, and a Party Room.
Thoughts from Show Flat Visit
Figure 2: Floor Plan of Type 2BR P1(2 BedroomPremium)
The layout of this particular unit is pretty standard for 2-bedroom units in today’s new developments.The main entrance is via the open kitchen, followed by the dining area, and then the living area/balcony. Bedrooms are located off the main family areas. There is little wasted space except for the longish foyer area at the entrance. For a 667 square feet unit with 2 bathrooms, it is a challenge to utilise space well.
Figure 3: Kitchen
The kitchen comes equipped with an induction top, a Mitsubishi fridge, and a microwave from Brandt. The washer is also from Brandt.
Due to size constraint, both worktop and storage space are barely adequate.
Figure 4: Kitchen/Dining Area
Although a four-seater dining set can fit into the space provided, there is not much walking space left once the dining chairs are pulled out for use.
Figure 5: Living / Balcony Areas
In this show flat, the extended sofa serves as seating for both the living and dining areas. This is a clever use of space and ensures that the place does not feel confined. The balcony, which is big enough to hold a dining set, extends this feeling of space in the unit.
Figure 6: Master Bedroom
The size of the master bedroom has just enough space to place a queen sized bed and two little tables.
Figure 7: Area Map
Amenities around the area
Parc Botannia, located in the Sengkang/Fernvale area, is an area undergoing rapid development. Thus, the area is fairly well developed and facilities are easily accessible.
The nearest shopping mall is The Seletar Mall, which is about 700 metres away. This mall caters to most needs as it houses a supermarket, a cinema, as well as various tutorial and enrichment centres. A little further out, Greenwich V offers food and beverage outlets as well as a supermarket. For a quick meal, Jalan Kayu, with its row of eateries and shops, is just a short walk away.
Nature Lovers will enjoy the Sengkang Riverside Park, just one LRT station away. Facilities for cyclists and exercise enthusiasts are available at the park. A floating wetland connects the park to the Sengkang Sports complex, which offers facilities like tennis and badminton courts, swimming pools and a gymnasium.
Education facilities are not lacking either. Schools in the vicinity include Fernvale Primary School, Pei Hwa Secondary School, and Sengkang Green Primary School. A new primary school, Fern Green Primary School, has just opened its doors in January this year. It is about 500 metres from Parc Botannia – pretty convenient for buyers who have young school-going kids.
For medical facilities, residents in Sengkang will be served by the Sengkang General and Community Hospital, scheduled to open by the second half of 2018.
In terms of transport accessibility, driving to other parts of the island is via the Tampines Expressway (TPE). For non-drivers, getting to Thanggam LRT Station is a mere 2-minute walk. This LRT station is linked to Sengkang MRT Station (NE-Line). Bus services are rather limited, but from Jalan Kayu, there are bus services plying to Punggol, Yishun, Hougang, and Ang Mo Kio.
Positive Aspects of the Development
- The condominium is in a growth area. This bodes well for buyers as new facilities and amenities will be developed.
- Necessary facilities like supermarkets and schools are within reasonable distance.
- Thanggam LRT Station is just beside the development.
- It is sited opposite High Park Residences, separated by a park. This location is rather pleasant due to the surrounding greenery.
- The childcare centre spells convenience for young parents with children.
- Units are a slightly-off North-South orientation, so they will not get too much afternoon sun.
The Not-so-good Aspects of the Development
- Excepting the LRT, other transport options like bus services are very limited at the moment. To link to Sengkang MRT, residents need to catch a feeder bus or take the LRT.
- Sizes in the project seem rather small for the respective unit types.
- Materials and fittings are rather basic.
Some Thoughts on Units
- At the moment, all 4 blocks of Parc Botannia are unblocked. Blocks 10 and 12 face either the pool or the forested area separating the development from the TPE. Blocks 16 and 18 face either the pool or the park (to be built) separating the development from High Park Residences, another condominium. In future, blocks 10 and 12 will be blocked when the forested area is developed.
- Stacks #12, #27 and #28 are closest to the tennis court, and lower units will be noisier.
- Stacks #3, #4, #5, and #6 are slightly off N-S orientation, so these will have some afternoon sun.
- Pool facing blocks may be quite close to each other.
- Stacks #29, #30, #31 and #32 are closest to the side gate.
- Stacks #10, #11, #16, #17, #18 are closest to the childcare centre and the centre’s playground. It may be noisy.
- Those who like pool-facing unitscan considerStacks #14, #15 or #20 which face the pool, but are not directly opposite other units.
- If I had to choose, I would prefer a low to mid-floor unit facing the future park, probably either Stack #30 or #31
Figure 8: Location of ParcBotanniaand Surrounding Areas
Parc Botannia is in Sengkang, and we will be comparing it with High Park Residences and Riverbank@Fernvale, two other 99-year leasehold projects. Although the location of Riverbank@ Fernvale is slightly away from the other two projects, we have put it in as it is one of the nearer condos to Parc Botannia.
High Park Residences is just opposite Parc Botannia. It has 1390 units and its TOP is expected in 2019. Riverbank@Fernvale has 555 units and was completed in 2017.
Price Comparison Table (2 bedrooms)
Price Comparison Table (3 bedrooms)
Prices for Parc Botannia
For the 2-bedroom units, the sizes are similar for all three developments, so the comparison is purely on price. Parc Botannia, being the newest kid on the block, is priced at a premium of about $150 to $200 psf compared to the other two developments. As there is no size advantage and little age difference, I will probably go for one of the other two condos.
For the 3-bedroom units, all three developments offer adequate living space. Again, Parc Botannia commands a premium of about $250 psf over the other two projects. On price basis, Parc Botannia loses out to the other two projects.
Personally, I am not a fan of condominiums with too many units, so I will probably chooseRiverbank@Fernvale over High Park Residences.