Did you know that are close to 3 billion smartphone users globally, and that this number is expected to increase to over 6 billion by 2020? And in conjunction with this rapid rise of smartphones the use of Apps for information and entertainment is set to grow exponentially as well.
The MIT App Inventor software was designed to teach kids how to program apps in a fun way
Together with our friends at Tinkercademy, we’re putting together an introduction to programming and app creation for young people. Instead of complex text-based programming languages, we will use software from MIT that turns coding into a visual, colorful drag-and-drop experience in a simple graphical interface. This will allow even novices to create fully functional Android apps by the end of the camp!
This camp will help your kids develop their logic and reasoning, and express themselves in code. At the end of the camp they will understand fundamental programming principles that will help them in their coding journey. They’ll also get to exercise their creative muscles and come up with fun ideas to express their creativity through creating their very own original app.
No experience with programming is necessary.
Young people all over the world are learning to create useful and entertaining apps
By the end of the course, students should be able to:
- Understand basic coding concepts
- Become familiar with the Android OS ecosystem
- Use MIT App Inventor to design and deploy Android Apps
- Day 1
- Introduction to Android OS and the potential of Apps
- Learn about basic App components and the Development Environment
- Build and deploy your very first App on your Android phone or emulator
- Day 2
- Introduction to how the Web works
- Learn about Web-based components
- Create a Stock Information App to put this into practice
- Day 3
- Introduction to Apps for fun and entertainment
- Learn about graphical components
- Create the CookieClicker and MoleMash game Apps
- Day 4
- Learn about deploying your Apps into the real world
- Develop and deploy and App of your own design
- Sharing and conclusion
The curriculum and training is provided by Tinkercademy, which teaches coding and electronics to schools, companies and the public. The founders of Tinkercademy are qualified MOE teachers and software engineers from Stanford, MIT and Cornell.
Exclusive Bonuses Only for Propwise.sg Readers
- $100 discount off the regular course fee
- Each participant will also receive a paperback copy of the bestselling books The Student’s Guide to Life and The Student’s Guide to Exam Success worth $29.80!
- Dates: Mon March 14 to Thu March 17
- Time: 1.30pm to 5pm
- Location: Peace Centre (near Dhoby Ghaut MRT)
- Age Group: 9 to 15 years old
- Includes: Tea break and snacks, and a certificate of completion
- Sign up Limit: Maximum of 10 kids per trainer, to ensure great trainer-student interaction
$580$480 (special price for Propwise.sg readers)
The remaining spots are extremely limited – if you are keen to sign your child up please fill in the form below and make payment to reserve your seat. You will receive an email receipt within 15 minutes, and we will send you full details of the event nearer to the date.
Registration is closed.
Payments are powered by Stripe and made over a secure connection. We do not store any of your credit card details on our site.
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions on this camp.
You may also be interested in the Tech Whiz Junior Camp: Code & Make with Scratch & Arduino (Ages 9 to 15), which is run on the same dates but in the mornings from 9.00am to 12.30pm. If you sign up for both, we will provide lunch for free for your child.