In our tech-driven world, learning to code has become as important as learning to read and write. Give your kids a head-start via a fun and practical boot camp to teach them the basics of programming, using MIT Media Lab’s Scratch software, made especially for kids, yet robust enough to use in entry-level university computer science courses!
MIT Media Lab’s Scratch software was designed to teach kids how to program in a fun way
What’s more, participants will also use Scratch to do electronics prototyping with Arduino, the open-sourced micro-controller that’s taken the world by storm, and which is powering the Maker Movement. Arduino provides an inexpensive way for novices and professionals to create devices that interact with their environment using sensors and actuators.
This camp will help your kids develop their logic and reasoning, and express themselves in code. At the end of the camp they will understand fundamental programming principles that will help them in their coding journey. They’ll also get to exercise their creative muscles and come up with fun ideas to express their creativity through sounds, lights and animation.
No experience with programming or electronics is necessary.
Arduino Scratch Starter Kit
Propwise.sg Exclusive: Take home an Arduino kit with a USB drive including all the software you need (worth a total of $119), and more projects to tinker with at home!
By the end of the course, students should be able to:
- Create block-based programs using Scratch
- Interface with the Arduino using Scratch to receive inputs and toggle outputs
- Build a practical electronic set-up which can receive inputs, do a logical evaluation, and perform an output sequence
- Day 1
- Introduction to Scratch
- Movement, animation, and drawing with Scratch
- Introduce yourself in an animated story
- Day 2
- Making a Pong game in Scratch
- Introducing the Arduino, and making things light up
- Adding lights to your Pong game
- Day 3
- Adding more output – buzzer and LCD screen
- Getting input with the Keypad + potentiometer
- Integrating Keypad + potentiometer in Pong
- Day 4
- Making music with Arduino: the light theremin
- Become an electronic DJ with the light theremin + potentiometer
- Sharing and conclusion
The curriculum and training is provided by Tinkercademy, which teaches coding and electronics to schools, companies and the public. The founders of Tinkercademy are qualified MOE teachers and software engineers from Stanford, MIT and Cornell.
What the Kids Are Saying
“The teacher was very kind and helpful.”
“Programming is easy and now I can make simple games!”
“I learnt a lot of new concepts.”
Exclusive Bonuses Only for Propwise.sg Readers
- $100 discount off the regular course fee
- A Get Hacking Arduino Starter Kit plus USB key with software worth $119 (so your kids can continue their learning journey even after the program)
- Each participant will also receive a paperback copy of the bestselling books The Student’s Guide to Life and The Student’s Guide to Exam Success worth $29.80!
- Dates: Mon March 14 to Thu March 17
- Time: 9am to 12.30pm
- Location: Peace Centre (near Dhoby Ghaut MRT)
- Age Group: 9 to 15 years old
- Includes: Tea break and snacks, and a certificate of completion
- Sign up Limit: Maximum of 10 kids per trainer, to ensure great trainer-student interaction
$580$480 (special price for Propwise.sg readers)
The remaining spots are extremely limited – if you are keen to sign your child up please fill in the form below and make payment to reserve your seat. You will receive an email receipt within 15 minutes, and we will send you full details of the event nearer to the date.
Registration is closed
Payments are powered by Stripe and made over a secure connection. We do not store any of your credit card details on our site.
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions on this camp.
You may also be interested in the Tech Whiz Junior Camp: Mobile App Development Mogul (Ages 9 to 15), which is run on the same dates but in the afternoons from 1.30pm to 5pm. If you sign up for both, we will provide lunch for free for your child.